Injured by an Uninsured Driver

Part of The Advocates Injury Attorneys Team

Injured by an Uninsured Driver?

If you've been injured by an underinsured or uninsured driver, the experienced car accident lawyers at The Advocates are here to help. Get a free consultation today.

Contact an Advocate

Experienced Legal Representation for Victims of Uninsured Drivers

Washington State and Idaho law requires all drivers to have, at minimum, liability insurance before they hit the roads. Yet year after year, Washington and Idaho are ranked in the top ten states for uninsured motorists. According to the Insurance Information Institute, over 17% of Washington State drivers likely do not have insurance on their vehicles. If such a driver is involved in an accident, they are often unable to compensate victims.

Washington State deems that all drivers must be insured for the following amounts:

  • $25,000 for injuries or death sustained per one (1) person
  • $50,000 for injuries or death sustained per two (2) people
  • $10,000 for damages caused to property for an accident

Idaho has very similar insurance coverage requirements:

  • $25,000 for bodily injury per person
  • $50,000 for bodily injury per accident
  • $15,000 for property damage per accident

If you were injured in an accident caused by an uninsured–or even an underinsured–driver, you may still have options to receive compensation for your injuries and losses. A free consultation with a car accident attorney from The Advocates will help you understand your legal options going forward. Our team of skilled lawyers has decades of experience with insurance laws in Washington State and Idaho. We know how to obtain the best possible settlement after your accident. Your case deserves an Advocate!

Common Car Accident FAQs

What to Do if You are Hit by an Uninsured Driver

The best preparation for being involved in an accident with a driver lacking insurance is to have a plan in advance of such a difficult situation. Here is what you need to know if you are ever in a crash with an uninsured motorist:

  • Immediately call 911 if you or another person is injured

  • Move damaged vehicles out of traffic

  • Contact the police to report the accident

  • Exchange information with the other driver

  • Do NOT accept a check or a cash payment from the other driver

  • Take photos (or video) and gather evidence such as witness statements

  • Report accident to your insurance provider

One of the first questions you will want to ask your insurance agent is if your policy has uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage (UM and UIM, respectively). If you do not have such coverage, then you will likely have to pay for your own damaged vehicle and use your own insurance for any medical expenses.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UM) and Underinsured Motorist Coverage (UIM)

Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist insurance coverage is a must-have for anyone who drives in the Pacific Northwest. If you have UM and UIM on your policy, you simply file a claim with your own insurance provider. You can also use your own collision coverage and personal injury protection (PIP), if you have it on your policy, to cover any medical or property damage expenses you have incurred.

Underinsured motorist coverage is a great addition to your policy if the at-fault driver’s insurance coverage doesn’t quite cover the damages you have suffered. Medical expenses can accumulate rather quickly and if you are forced to replace your vehicle, then you will need UIM coverage to fill the gap.

Getting Compensation without UM and UIM

If you do not have UM and UIM on your policy coverage then you will likely be on the hook for the damages, at least at first. The only other option you have is to file a lawsuit against the at-fault party in the hopes of recovering your losses in a court of law.

Compensation obtained from a driver lacking insurance will come from seized bank accounts, financial assets, or the sale of property in possession of the at-fault party. If the uninsured driver does not have the financial standing to pay the damages they have caused you, then they will be forced to file for bankruptcy. Again, if you do not have UM/UIM coverage on your auto insurance policy, today is the best time to add it.

Talk to an Advocate Today!

Being involved in an accident with an uninsured driver doesn’t mean you are alone in your fight to recover compensation. An attorney with The Advocates is ready to explain your legal options during a free consultation. Speak to an Advocate today by calling our office at (206) 452-4200, filling out our contact form, or chatting with a live attorney from the bottom of your screen. The Advocates Injury Attorneys are ready to help you!


For Further Reading

Call Now